ST. LOUIS COUNTY POLICE
JULY 1ST, 1955
Resembles the vehicle decal 1980's
Metal tag used on the commissioners vehicle
This change in law enforcement services for St. Louis County Mo. occurred on July 1st, 1955. Due to problems within the Sheriff's Department, the St. Louis County Charter was amended by the voters in 1954 to restrict the duties of the St. Louis County Sheriff's Office. With the Charter amendment, all law enforcement services were assigned to a new police agency, the St. Louis County Police Department. The department is primarily responsible for law enforcement and investigations within unincorporated St. Louis County and contract municipalities, however, it has full police authority throughout the county, including its 91 municipalities.
The St. Louis County Police Department is the primary and largest law enforcement agency serving St. Louis County Missouri. The current police chief is Colonel John Belmar. According to the Charter of St. Louis County, the county police chief has all of the duties of the sheriff of St. Louis County, except for the operation of the St. Louis County Jail, which is handled by the St. Louis County Department of Justice Services (civilian), court bailiff and service of civil process. Court bailiff/civil process duties are provided by a court-appointed sheriff and his employees, none of whom have law enforcement powers.
( 2014 )
Swearing in the new
St. Louis County Police Officers
June 30th 1955
Door emblem (metal)
Resembles the vehicle decal
Resembles the vehicle decal 1980's--1990's
PATCHES AND NAMES OF THE
Special thanks to the following for their help with items and information relating to the county police
Officer Tim Rehagen
C F" Bud" Spaethe Jr.
Chiefs of Police
July 1st, 1955---Current date
Albert E. DuBois
July 1, 1955---June 21, 1956
Raymond W. Hensley
June 22, 1956---Nov. 23, 1969
Robert J. DiGrazia
Nov. 24, 1969--Nov. 10, 1972
G. H. Kleinknecht
Nov. 11, 1972--1990
YEAR BOOK /
BADGE / PIN
SERIES OF 15 BADGES
BACK OF BADGES
Commanding Officers / Associates Organization
( CO & AO )
This organization was created in 1957. The original members consisted of a small group of professional and business leaders in the community which was brought together with the supervisory and command officers of the County Police.
The objectives were to establish a relation between the police and the community, and secondly to enlist support for the newly department to obtain needed materials and equipment.
In 1979 the command staff, and at that time, Chief Kleinknecht decided that after 22 years the St. Louis County Police would no longer retain official support for the CO/AO.
Thanks to CF "Bud" Spaethe for the items and information about the CO/AO
Breast and hat badge # 1 was issued July 1st, 1955 to Bird W. Sappington DSN 130. In 1969 upon Birds retirement, the County Police Department officially retired badge # 1.
Current Commissioner's Badge
Millennium Badge Donated by Retired Sergeant Barry Armfield
Colonel John Belmar
60th Anniversary Keychain
60th Anniversary Coin (front)
60th Anniversary Coin (back)
60th year items produced
This 16" x 20" cardboard poster featuring Maggie Clayton and Byron Sarge Watson was donated by retired St Louis County PD Sgt Byron Watson
14k ring that was designed and made in 1970